Imagine walking through a spooky forest and then hearing the “slosh” made when you step in muddy water. Try as you might, it is hard to pull your foot from the mud as it sucks your foot deeper and deeper making it hard for you to get away. Well, you won’t have to worry about that happening if you make this Halloween Swamp Dip.
The ingredients you’ll need for Halloween Swamp Dip are as follows:
* 1/4 cup butter or margarine
* 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
* 1 small red bell pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
* 1 tablespoon of finely chopped garlic, the fresher the better
* 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup chicken broth (canned or homemade)
* 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
* 1/2 cup feta cheese with herbs and garlic or 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
* 1/4 cup plain yogurt
* 1 – 10 ounce package of fresh spinach leaves. Remove the stems and cut them into thin strips
* 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
* Salt and pepper to taste
Begin by melting the butter in a 10-inch skillet until it sizzles. Add the onion, garlic and red bell pepper. Stir constantly and cook this over medium heat. You want the onions to soften which will take between 5 and 6 minutes. Add the flour and continue to stir. Cook this new mixture for about 1 minute. Next add the chicken broth and heavy whipping cream. Stir with a wire whisk and continue cooking the mixture until it begins to thicken. This takes approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
Once the mixture has thickened sufficiently, stir in the cheese, yogurt, spinach and hot pepper sauce. Allow this to cook until the spinach wilts and it is hot all the way through. Remove the mixture from the heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
Find a Halloween themed bowl to serve the dip in or use a bread bowl. This can be created by getting a good sized round loaf of bread. Slice the top off and remove the center leaving about an inch of bread on the sides and bottom. You could also use a small hallowed out pumpkin to serve the dip in. Spoon the dip into the container and serve it while it is warm. You can use bread slices, crackers or sliced vegetables to eat it.